Monday, May 10, 2010

День Победы (Day of Victory)

Привет once again,

I'm back for my fourth and final blog of the day. Hopefully I haven't blogged you guys out. Ha.

So as many of you know, and I'm sure some of you don't, yesterday (May 9) was День Победы (Day of Victory) in Russia. This was the day that World War II ended for Russia. This holiday is the second largest celebration in Russia behind New Years. It was incredible to be in Moscow for it and be able to experience all the festivities that go along with it.

The main event of the day is the Victory Day Parade. It is a H-U-G-E parade that goes through Red Square. First march the troops and all the different branches of the military. Next the tanks and other heavy artillery are paraded through the square. It is concluded by numerous fly-overs by different Russian planes. They fly-overs were really cool to see because one of the formations was a "65" to commemorate 65 years since the Victory over Germany in World War II and in another formation six planes flew over and let out different color smoke to make the colors of the Russian Flag. HERE is a link to a short video highlighting the parade. I suggest you check it out because it really is spectacular.

After the parade I walked around Park Pobedy (Парк Победы, Victory Park) with some of my friends. Since it is a park dedicated to Russia's victory in the wars, it was a crazy, spectacular event. There were thousands upon thousands of people walking around the park. They had a stage set up and live music being played all day. While walking around the park we explored the Military and Artillery Exposition which was cool to see. There they have numerous tanks and other military equipment used in World War II. (See photos below).

And to conclude the night, at 10pm there was a huge firework salute all across Moscow. There were great firework displays at Park Pobedy as well as on Red Square. It was most certainly one of the most impressive firework displays that I have ever witnessed. HERE is a link to a Youtube video from a Russian TV Network displaying the salute. Once again, I highly recommend that you check it out because it was simply impressive.

Well here are some photos that I took documenting my experience on Victory Day. I hope I haven't worn you out with too much blogging in one day :-)

ENJOY!!! С ДНЁМ ПОБЕДЫ!!!



A temporary monument to Victory Day outside of my metro station.

An "artistic" photo by me. Ha.

The sea of people out on what was a beautiful day to celebrate!

And now begins some of the military artillery and such...
Here is what I believe to be some sort of anti-aircraft gun (?)

Here is some crazy military vehicle kinda like a tank... again, not really sure exactly what it is.

This is some kind of German tank.

There were many people like this guy waving huge Soviet Flags.

Some sort of train big-gun thingy...really REALLY BIG! Ha.

A picture of me in my Victory Day hat with Graham and his flag. Haha.

An old war boat, in a small man made lake in the park.

Me sitting on an anti-aircraft gun. With that awesome hat, I almost look like I belong on it.

It thunder stormed for about 30 minutes, but these people didn't let the rain affect their Victory Day dancing. Hahahaha.

Finally a picture of the group at the end of the night.

Hope you enjoyed your Victory Day experience :-) We are going to St. Petersburg this week so look for pictures of that trip sometime next week! (I know you all can't wait, ha.)
Пока!

9 comments:

  1. Comrade;
    GREAT PHOTOS...all 4 entries were very impressive......you looked like a natural gunner on the anti-aircraft gun....the hat looks good,makes you look .....well like something...enjoyed all the photos...the fireworks were cool....quite a show...
    enjoyed all...thanks....and uncle rick would look good in that hat on his boat..

    later..
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff! It's great getting the information from a Russian Military Weapons expert. Now I have the exact nomenclature for those cool weapons. LOL I did truly enjoy the photos and would love to have been able see for myself.
    Thank you again,

    Perry Bell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the parade...will have to watch the fireworks another day. Where were the balloons and majorettes and high school bands? JK It was really spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben-
    You did not blog me to death. I enjoyed each of these tours...very distinct. Thanks for some great pictures and great information.
    Miss you. Take care.
    Love, Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Benny,
    Awesome Pics!! your entire trip so far seems like a blast and im sure your learning so much about the culture and just the life over there. i expect fluent russian sentences when you come back, nothing less. also, your parents were telling me that there are no parking rules over there and i thought that was so fascinating...so if you have your camera with you and you see the cars all double parked and stuff, take a pic, im really curious to see it! cant wait to see you in less then a month.
    love, kim

    mom, did you post twice so that it looks like you are the number one blog fan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benjadude,
    I haven't signed on for a few days - I missed a lot. That Patti gets me mad - now I will never be able to catch up to the number of comments she has made. I want to be the #1 blog fan! :)
    Very cool experiences. From big city to suburbia (if that's what they call it in Russia). Looks like Russians know how to party!
    You are going to have to tour USA when you get back so you know more about your homeland than Russia. I'm sure Adam or Rachel would love to accompany you . . . so would I!
    Less than a month left on your tour - it's going fast. Wouldn't you agree, Cindy? :)
    Much love,
    Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK - I really am not trying to catch up to Aunt Patti, but I thought of something to show you. You may have already seen it. This is how some of your comrades are enjoying OSU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNOB6TnHSI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ben ....
    The Victory Day Celebration looked like alot of fun - it is such a huge celebration there .... awesome! One of my favorite pictures? Your "artistic" one - I just love tulips. The fireworks show was GREAT!
    Enjoy all the blogs. Can't wait for your next one - St Petersburg.
    Miss you tons, Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ben - I checked out the website Aunt Paula sent you ... how fun is that!!! Amanda - did I see you dancing at the new Ohio Union?
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete