Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Highly Triumphant Return to Blogging

After a long, anticipated wait, he's back!

Greetings once again from Russia. Sorry that I have not update my blog in a couple of days...okay like tenish days. I have just been super busy and haven't had much free time. But now I have some time to share with you some more of my adventures here. Over the past week or so, nothing to exciting has happened. It has basically just been life as normal here. However, below I have some new pictures that I thought you all would like to see.

To start with, on the 28th of April I went to my first Футболный Матч (Soccer Game) while in Russia. Let me tell you, it was awesome/crazy/ridiculous. I went with Graham, Steve, Ruslan and Ruslan's friend Dima to watch my favorite Russian team ЦСКА (Remember? ...from an earlier post) play Зенит (Zenit; a team from St. Petersburg). Basically the two teams are bitter rivals and the fans at the game basically made Ohio State fans look tame...and that's saying something. Unfortunately, ЦСКА got beat 2-0...but it was still a fun game to watch and I hope to go to another one before I leave.

Also, below are a few pictures from our last excursion to the Vasnetsov House-Museum. Виктор Васнецов (Viktor Vasnetsov) is a famous Russian painter who lived in Moscow. His home was turned into a museum, and it's right in the middle of Moscow. It was cool cause it was a house from the 1800s right in a huge city like Moscow.

Here are the pics...ENJOY!

At the ЦСКА game. It was a cold, rainy night and even tho ЦСКА got beat it was still a ton of fun.

Start of the second half.

Our seats we in the 8th row and cost only 800 Rubles (appx $27).

Зенит fans starting a fire after Зенит scored their second goal. Totally nuts!

A nice view across Red Square of St. Basil's Cathedral and the Kremlin.

Stands set up in preparation for the May 9th holiday celebration. День Победы (Victory Day) is May 9th and celebrates Russia victory of World War II. H-U-G-E holiday in Russia. HUGE!

View down a crazy Moscow street towards an even crazier street with a highway overpass.

Just a pretty church that we found along our walks.

"House Museum of Viktor Vasnetsov". Sign of the museum we visited.

The house. It was quite small but still very interesting.

After our tour of the Vasnetsov house, we were served tea and other snacks in another building. Fun fact: Russians love, I mean absolutely love to drink tea.

...and the best for last! This here is my favorite car in all of Russia. The company is Lada and they make this tiny Russian car that is just plain awesome!
Well, that's all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed and hopefully I'll have some more adventures to tell you about in the coming days. Пока!
PS: Keep the comments up, I love reading them!

9 comments:

  1. Ben;great to see the photos.....everyone should be able to start a fire in the stands...hope your week goes well?keep the camera handy,as with May 9 approaching you might get a few good photos of the Military Might..
    later,,Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ben-
    Great pictures and a nice variety. Everyone should be able to build a fire at a soccer game! Those are some hard core fans...kind of like your mom and I at the Brad Paisley concert!
    Love,
    Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben ....
    Okay, fires at soccer games - definitely don't have to go to any more of those!!!
    I was surprised that the soccer game wasn't sold out - lots of empty seats. I guess I just thought all soccer games over there would be sell outs.
    Ben, your pictures were great. Remember, Grandpa Ringos said "every time you go into a new church - make a wish."
    Enjoyed seeing your group having "tea." Dad said the woman standing on the right, dark hair, is Vera, your trip coordinator.
    Have a good week coming up.
    Miss you, Be safe and smart,
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben the photos are a great treat once again. The Fire at a Soccer game is old school I've seen that done at Dallas Cowboys Football games. Of course I'm talking American Football and Dallas fans have been known to bee a little "Red Neck". The photo of the "Lada" is exactly the "Cars of Russia" that I like to see.
    Keep up the tid bits of information that you keep supplying us. We all Love them.

    Perry Bell

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi benny!
    i'm with your mom on the soccer games, but i'm glad you survived! :) it's so cool to see how other countries celebrate their favorite sports!
    i can't wait to see pictures from the upcoming weeks with all the holidays that are going on. it's really awesome that you get to be there for all of that (and get days off of class!).
    love you,
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grocery Boy,
    LOVE the pics and commentary. OK - so there's a fire in the stands for a soccer game. What do you think will happen for the WWII victory celebration on May 9??!! Keep your eyes open and your camera handy. Looking forward to seeing ALL the picures in June (I don't know how many more days, but I know your mom does). :)
    Much love,
    Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula... 1 month from today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo, if [quote] "Russians love, I mean absolutely love to drink tea", where does that leave Chinese people. The Chinese must be off the charts in terms of loving tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some pretty crazy pictures Ben! I am still shocked they are aloud to start a fire in the stands! A dumpster fire after an OSU vs. UM game is top story on the news the next day in Cbus!! haha

    I am also excited to learn what happens on May 9th!! Have a great time!!

    Happy Cinco de Mayo. . .margs will be flowing today in the states!

    Take care and viva Russia :)

    P.S. That car is cute! Does it come in any other colors? What makes it so special?

    ReplyDelete