Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Санкт-Петербург (Saint Petersburg) Part One

Привет Товарищам,
So this is the first of a seven part blog series about my adventures in St. Petersburg. I took over 400 pictures during our three day stay, but don't worry I won't be posting all the pictures cause that would probably just bore you to death. Instead I'll be posting right around 80 over this seven part series. Don't worry, all the pictures are saved on my computer so next time I'm with you I can show you all of them if you'd like.

First a brief history of the city (feel free to skip over this section if you are not interested in the history but I like to think at least one of you will read it. Ha): Saint Petersburg was founded by Tsar Peter the Great on May 27, 1703. The first stone building in the city was the Peter and Paul Fortress (Петропавловская Крепость). The city was mostly built by slave labor and by Sweedish prisoners. The city has appx. 63 canals running through it. Saint Petersburg was actually the capital of Russia for more than 200 years, but ceased being the capital city after the Russian Revolution of 1917. Currently it is Russia's second largest city (behind Moscow) with appx. 4.6 million inhabitants. It is commonly referred to as the Venice of the North because of all the canals.

Now to the first tour. This blog is just a selection of random pictures from around the city. It has highlights of all the major buildings that will be covered in later entries. I hope you enjoy the pictures and like I said above, many more are to follow in the coming days!


View down the Winter Canal (Зимняя Канавка) towards the Neva River (Нева Река).

Okay, so we witnessed this huge roller-blade parade. It was awesome. And this crazy motorcycle thing was in it. Totally Russia. Ha.

Statue of Peter the Great on a horse. It is known as the Bronze Horseman.

Statue of a Sphinx. From what I understood it was bought by Russia from the French during the time of the French Revolution because France had no money.

The biggest globe in the world. 'Nuff said.

View across the Neva River.

So we found this Corvette parked on the street. Check out the license plate. O-H-I-O. Woot!

View down one of the canals. In the distance you can see the Church of the Savior on Blood (Храм Спаса На Крови). It was built under the order of Tsar Alexander III as a tribute to his father, Tsar Alexander II who was assassinated on the spot where the church stands.

Church of the Savior on Blood (Храм Спаса На Крови).

Very cool monument to Tsar Nicholas I. The reason its so cool and unique is because it is one of the only horse statues in the world where the horse is balanced on only two legs. Most horse monuments require three legs or a tail touching the ground. Neat right?!

Best. Street Sign. EVER. Hahaha.

This is Russia. Note the front wheels...or lack of.
Alrighty then, that is all for part one of seven. Be sure to check back for more posts about my adventures in St. Pete.
Пока!

6 comments:

  1. 1971 corvette.....my year of H.S. graduation...that was..n't my 1st car....lots of history in the city..some beautiful photos..the bikes looked like Beijing,,will look forward to the rest of the postings..the city looks so much more lively and clean compared to SVO....nice work,Comrade..
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Stuff! The canals look awesome. It made me wonder if the water is as polluted as in Venice. I mean, would you swim in it? Doesn't matter, it still looks great. I can't get over the architecture, all the magnificent structures built hundreds of years ago and they seem much more amazing than what is being churned out in our so called "Modern era". Thanks for the history lesson at the beginning. It gives much more meaning to tour photo tour. You do a great job.

    Perry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pics. I look forward to the next posting in the series of seven. I like the history lesson - although I hope there is not a quiz when you get back :)
    I will be the first to say it this time - my favorite pics are the ones with you in them.
    I was surprised at how good the pics in the Cathedral turned out.
    Much Love,
    Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comrade Ben,
    Again...I'll be the second to say it....my fav
    pix r of U...Not!!!!Yeah...is it water u can
    recreate in??? Boat, swim fish and things?
    Paula....yes there is always a test...this is
    not a Pass No Pass class....
    Vette should have been painted "Scout" colors.
    See u Fathers Day...yes??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben .... I love the pictures. St Petersburg is beautiful! The architure is incredible. I agree with Perry - I don't think we build anything even close to the beauty of buildings built hundreds of years ago. I am not really a history person but I enjoy the start of your tours [no prejudice for the author]. Eyes open, Love, Mom
    P.S. Great street sign ... yikes

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi. great pics of st petersbourg. i remembered nice moments long time ago.

    tks a lot!
    my best for you

    ReplyDelete