Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Санкт-Петербург --- Part 5 --- Петергоф (Peterhof Palace)

Последние блог дня (Last blog of the day),

Coming back to you live from Moscow...well when you read this it won't be live, but I couldn't think of a more creative way to start my introduction. This blog is about my favorite place that we saw while in Saint Petersburg. It is a palace about 29km outside of St. Pete called Peterhof (Петергоф) sometimes referred to as the Russian Versailles. It is a fabulous estate containing numerous fountains, gardens, and of course a palace fit for a tsar. It was simply spectacular to see.

Brief background (I figure referring to it as "background" and not "history" may cause you to read it, ha): Peter the Great would often travel to the Gulf of Finland from St. Petersburg to oversee the construction of the Russian Navy. He conceived the idea to create a place that would triumph Versailles in France. He helped in the designing and building process which began in 1714. The estate contains over a hundred fountains, each of them being uniquely designed (some by Peter). After Peter the Great, the estate remained a major "vacation spot" for the Romanov (Tsar) families. During World War II Petergof was occupied by Nazi troops for three years and they almost completely destroyed the grounds. However, many of the stolen statues have been recovered and the estate looks almost exactly as it did nearly 300 years ago.

Alright, I hope I didn't bore you to sleep with the "background"...here are some pictures. I took over 90 photos, but don't worry they are not all on this blog.


The church on the estate. It's connected to the palace.

View from the top of the main cascade. You can see the Gulf of Finland if you look down the canal.

View from the top of the main cascade of another fountain and designs in the grass.

The center piece of the main fountain in the main cascade. Called the Samson Fountain it represents Russia's victory over the Swedes. The fountain shoots out of the mouth of a lion.

View looking up the main cascade with the palace in the background.

Just another fountain. Nothing interesting or fun to say about this one.

Perhaps my favorite cascade. Reminds me of a checkers or chess board...not sure of the name of it. You can see at the top the water comes out of the mouths of three dragons.

Me in front of a fountain...looking good as always.

Hanna, Graham and myself in front of another fountain.

Statue of Peter the Great.

A very artistic picture of some flowers and fountain in the background.

View of the Gulf of Finland. If you click on the picture and zoom in you can see the docks and other buildings of Saint Petersburg on the horizon.

View down the canal.

Another picture with me in it...just for my fans. Ha. Palace in the background.

A tiny fountain I thought was cool. It represents some French fairy tale or story in which the dog always swims after the ducks but he can never catch him. Notice the dog on the right swimming after the ducks.

Some crazy Pantheon looking building with statues and fountains of course.

View of the guest house across a small pond.

View down one of the paths on the estate.

View from the top of another cascade in which you can see the small pond mentioned two photos ago along with the Gulf of Finland.

And finally this awesome squirrel that was supper friendly. Some lady reached into her purse to give him some food and he climbed on her. HA!

So that's all for now. Hope you enjoyed your photo-tour of Peterhof. Hopefully I'll get the last two posts up sometime soon. Keep the comments coming!
Now only 9 days left (Moscow time that is)

Спокойной Ночи!

10 comments:

  1. These pictures are simply beautiful...and you are handsome!
    Love,
    Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be my favorite photo tour yet! The grounds look absolutely amazing. You're making me like Russia more and more each time that I look at your pictures :)
    love you!
    amanda
    ps did i ever tell you that we used to have a "pet" squirrel growing up. his name was chester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice work Comrade;seeing all the fountains and beautiful landscape,I am sure Uncle Dan would enjoy that kind of work...to have had such wealth....the view of the open water and seeing the city was very nice.Can't wait to hear about more of the BIG ADVENTURE..
    see you in just a few more days....

    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I have never seen so much gold. I am just in awe. Just didn't realize there were so many beautiful buildings and places in Russia. Your history has made this tour extra special. I would have been lost without it. Thank you so much for giving us a personalized tour of your experiences. It's been fun. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't been here in awhile...had to play catch up. Amanda is keeping me posted though. Do you have hot water yet? Love the posts. Your humor makes them so enjoyable. I'm with Vickie...never realized Russia had so many splendid sites. It's always good to visit those places, but there's no place like home...looking forward to seeing you again and some buffalo chicken pizza! Be safe!
    P.S. Can't believe Lee won Idol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if it's proper to respond to other bloggers on Ben's blog, but Sherry I feel your pain. The city of Toledo is in mourning today! I will not watch that show again!! And I know what you are all thinking...I watched it way too much this year!! This is my last comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ben,
    I can see why this was your favorite place while in St Pete .... the pictures are amazing. It must really be something to see in person.
    All the beauty, fountains, gold ... who knew?
    Have a good weekend. Eyes open. Be safe.
    Love,
    Mom
    P.S. Is A Patti still talking about Crystal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures! I had absolutely no idea how nice Russia was until this tour. I really don't think I could live there though - they have some funky letter in their alphabet! For example, мир девочка - скаут. Is it close? It's supposed to be 'peace out girl scout'. :)

    Much love,
    Aunt Paula

    p.s. Is Patti done talking about Crystal yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Ben-
    If you're still reading your blog...safe travels...can't wait to see you.
    Love,
    Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete