Sunday, April 11, 2010

Park Pobedy (Парк Победы)


Привет Soviet Fans,
On Friday after class a few of my classmates and I headed over to Park Pobedy (Victory Park). It is a big park on the west side of Moscow that the Soviets basically decided to build to commemorate the Russian victory of World War II (Russians call it The Great Patriotic War). Along with containing numerous tanks from the war, a giant obelisk of St. George slaying the dragon, and museum, Park Pobedy's metro stop is the deepest in the world. It is approximately 90 meters deep (over 290 feet) below the surface. The escalator ride from the bottom to the surface takes over 3 minutes! So here are some photos of the park. Enjoy!
PS: Hopefully one of these days I'll get around to answering all of the questions//comments you left. I haven't forgotten so keep commenting!


Москва (Moscow) on the side of a hill in flowers.

Approaching the the museum and obelisk. Fun fact: the obelisk is 141.8 meters high, 10 cm for each day of the war.

Top Half of the obelisk.

Bottom half of the obelisk. The statue at the base is St. George slaying the dragon.

Close up of the bottom of the base.

Flag hanging above the entrance to the museum. It says "Patriotic War" around the hammer and sickle.

Pretty self explanatory, just kind of funny :-)

Lunch, yummy! I had a beer and a pre-made, saran wrapped, microwaved cheeseburger.

One of the tanks in the park.

My friends climbing on the tanks. From left to right: Rachel, Graham is sitting on the turret, Steve is looking oh so happy in front, and some Russian boy who was quite fascinated.

Yours truly looking off into the distance...I was really just looking at the road, nothing exciting but I think it made for a great photo. Right?! Ha

Holocaust memorial with part of the museum in the background.

Пока!






3 comments:

  1. More great information about a country that I find more interesting all the time. I like you photos and explanations of each. The Beer and Cheeseburger sounds just like home. The Holocaust Memorial looks to be the most inspiring. Someday I'll have to check it out up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben .... It looked like a great day to be enjoying Park Pobedy and its history. Was it huge? Pics are great - goes without saying that my favorite is the one with you in it :) Would you compare this park to something you would find in Washington? Cool that you took a picture of your lunch-do they have milk? Be safe, Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so I am way behind on reading the blog. . .but wow I'm not sure if I could be 90 meters below the ground. That's pretty amazing.

    How did the pre-made/wrapped hamburger taste, compared to the fresh, never frozen one's from Wndy's?! Haha

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete